EPISCOPAL Evangelism 101 REgional Training Event
May 8-9, 2020
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, this event has been canceled. We may reschedule it for 2021.
what is the purpose of this event?
Episcopal Evangelism 101 is a not-so-basic training designed to introduce a fresh, humble, effective, and Episcopal approach to the spiritual practice of evangelism.
During this training event, we will:
- Honor our baptismal promises to continue in the apostles’ teaching and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in the prayers; to proclaim with word and deed the good news of Jesus Christ; and to seek and serve Christ in all people, loving our neighbors as ourselves.
- Seek to deepen relationship with the God we know in Jesus Christ, using the spiritual practice of seeking and sharing our stories of life with God.
- Learn to invite, receive and celebrate the stories of others, so they might find their own place in the Jesus Movement.
By the end of our time together, we hope you’ll not only understand the idea of Episcopal Evangelism, but will also have experienced real joy and energy in practicing it.
Who should attend?
This workshop is for all clergy and laypeople who want to learn how to discuss faith with non-churchgoers in an appropriate and respectful manner.
Although this workshop is geared for Episcopalians, the skills taught during this event can be used by Christians from any denomination. All are welcome!
what will happen during the event?
Friday, May 8
5:00 pm Registration
6:00 pm Dinner and Leaders Session
This session is intended for those in leadership positions in their congregation. We would like to have at least one person from each congregation to attend. The focus will be on helping leaders engage their congregations in evangelism and Way of Love efforts.
Saturday, May 9
8:00 am Breakfast
9:00 am Plenary Session
This session is open to anyone to attend. The focus will be:
- An introduction to the practice of Episcopal Evangelism
- The practices of seeking, naming, and celebrating God's presence in our daily life and the lives of those around us
- The importance of evangelism
- How to go about inviting people into Good News
12:00 pm Luncheon
1:00 pm Breakout Workshops
The world wide web is a new missionary context, a real place where people experience a world of relationships, challenges, and growth. This workshop includes exploratory exercises designed to prepare people to practice evangelism as they use social media.
Intentional Small Group Ministry
This workshop focuses on learning to connect through transformative relationships with those both in our churches and communities is a huge part of evangelism. You will learn how to start an intentional small group ministry in your context.
Beloved Community Storysharing
A huge part of sharing the Good News is facing the need for racial reconciliation in our communities. This workshop shares the gifts of the story sharing method for both racial reconciliation and evangelism work.
2:30 pm Breakout Workshops
Repeat of workshops above.
4:00 pm Sending
Where is it being held?
Who is the trainer?
This training event will be led by Jerusalem Greer, The Episcopal Church's Staff Officer for Evangelism, and other members of the Episcopal Evangelism Team.
how much does it cost?
$36.32 per person for those attending both the Friday and Saturday sessions. This price covers three meals (dinner, breakfast, and luncheon) plus credit card transaction fees.
$20.88 per person for those attending the Saturday sessions only. This price covers two meals (breakfast and luncheon) plus credit card transaction fees.